Friday, August 1, 2014

Mushu's Moo Shu

As promised here is a recipe from the Princess cookbook that has already made it to our regular dinner line-up.


Recipe Summary
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings:4-6
Source: The Disney Princess Cookbook
Ingredients
Vegetable oil, 3 Tbs
Ginger powder, 1 tsp
Broccoli slaw, 4 cups
Pork tenderloin, 1 lb cooked and sliced
Hoisin sauce, 1/4 cup
Salt, to taste
Flour tortillas, warmed

Directions
  1. Ask an adult to help you at the stove. Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the ginger powder and stir for 1 minute.
  2. Add the broccoli slaw to the pan, and turn up the heat a little. Stir-fry the vegetables for 4 to 5 minutes. Cook them just long enough to darken in color without losing their crunchiness.
  3. ATurn the heat down to medium, and stir in the pork and hoisin sauce. Continue cooking the moo shu for another 2 minutes to heat it through. Salt to taste.
  4. When you're ready to eat, spoon some of the moo shu onto the center of a warm tortilla. Then roll or wrap up the tortilla and enjoy.
Notes
  1. I used SoyVay Veri Veri Teriyaki marinade and sauce instead of hoisin because it is what we always have on hand. It was delicious.
  2. I used pork cutlets as a cheap alternative. And I found 1 pound to be too much meat. I used 1/2 pound.
  3. Because moo shu and burritos are some of my favorite dishes serving the moo shu in a tortilla didn't work. I stopped by my local Asian grocery and picked up a freezer package of moo shu shells. I used them the second time and found it much more to my liking
  4. One Walmart package of slaw fed my family of 3 with no leftovers- one of those being a 3 year-old child. Plan to serve side-dishes if you want to stick with the right portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment