Friday, August 1, 2014

Portion Princess; Praise for the "mini" trend

My first introduction to mini's came with the birth of my daughter and the staples of her diet; namely goldfish and teddy grahams. A serving of regular graham crackers is two cracker sheets. But a serving of teddy grahams is 24 pieces. I am rarely satisfied after two sheets but with the teddy grahams I hardly ever make it to the full serving size. To my delight the same is often the case for other mini indulgences.

I love Oreo cookies. But I rarely buy the package because I can never stop at just two cookies. And my craving is usually satisfied in a week with the remainder of the cookies going stale. Now when I get a craving for "milk's favorite cookie" I pick up a go-pack of oreo mini's in the check-out line. Ordinarily I would advise against this impulse buy. But if the pantry is bare of items to satisfy my occasional sweet tooth, the nutritionist in me gives you permission to bend that rule.

Another discovery is mini club crackers. These delightful snacks have nearly half of their calories from fat. And with only 2 crackers as a serving the calories can quickly add up. But Keebler Club Mini's come to the rescue with 17 crackers as a serving size. I buy the multi-grain crackers to justify the nutritionist in me but the gain isn't even a full gram of fiber. So go for original buttery deliciousness!

The only bad thing about this is that with the mini's I have picked up the bad habit of eating candy. Never outside of Halloween do I usually eat candy. So be mindful that there is always too much of a good thing. The mini's at the checkout line usually are at least 3 servings per package. Remember these are "sometime" foods and are not meant to replace proper nutrient dense foods.

So as not to end on a bad note I will share one last tale of this portion princess. I love ice cream. It is the sweet I have the most trouble with portions until now. The Joy mini ice cream cones (at Walmart) combined with pint size ice cream products are a dream come true. I can have three cones. It is the perfect solution to my portion control. And the best part once again is that I rarely need all three!

Hallelujah to mini's! Can I get an Amen!?!




No comments:

Post a Comment