Friday, August 1, 2014

The Disney Princess Cookbook: Review

I checked out The Disney Princess Cookbook from the library as a creative way to introduce Hime to Disney princesses before she starts pre-school in the fall. I had no expectation other than brand recognition so my daughter wouldn't feel left out among her peers. And since I refuse to watch Disney movies this seemed like a nice alternative. So it was a wonderful surprise that Disney actually got this right.

Most cookbooks tell a tale of travel or lofty ambitions and sit on a shelf or coffee table largely unused.  I am singing praise for this cookbook because it is so practical; meeting all my requirements for a cheap, fast, and easy recipe. Most recipes have ingredients that are staples in my kitchen and have less than 5 ingredients. If a trip to the store is needed, the shopping list is short and the ingredients are cheap and easy to find; no store hopping for that obscure ingredient.

My only complaint is that the book is stereotypical in that the black princess recipe is "soul food" and the mermaid princess is sea turtle cupcakes. But isn't that the Disney way? Culturing kids in 90 minutes or less with an upbeat message. So instead of getting my tail feathers ruffled I am choosing to see this as a celebration of cultural differences.

This cookbook has opened up a new resource; cookbooks written for children. My repertoire of simple meals is sorely in need of an overhaul. Expect some good recipes on the horizon.


No comments:

Post a Comment